[Mageia-dev] Minimal mageia install

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Wed Oct 24 16:08:35 CEST 2012

Hello,

Wolfgang Bornath said on Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 03:54:38PM +0200:

> 2012/10/23 Bruno Cornec <Bruno.Cornec at hp.com>:
> > Helo,
> >
> > I'm in the process of redeploying automatically my firewall machine,
> > using Mageia. For that I'd like to have a very minimal install.
> >
> > However, I'm ending up with 580 packages, among them a lot of X11
> > content, whereas I want a text base install only.
>
> I had the same experience with Mageia 1 - the lowest I could get was
> somewhere in the high 500. I spent some time tinkering with that but
> whatever I tried, whichever package I wanted to remove, I always ended
> up with the removal of part of the base system. In the end I gave up
> (possibly due to lack of knowledge)  :(
>
> I just checked Olivier's suggestion, ending up with some 270 packages...

Well I *know* i can do better:

sudo chroot /users/rpmbootstrap/mageia/2/x86_64 /bin/bash
bash-4.2# rpm -aq | wc -l
172

That chroot is made by a tool I'm developing to create build
environments for multiple Linux distributions (supports Fedora, CentOS,
Mageia, Mandriva, OpenSuSE, debian, Ubuntu). Cf: rpmbootstrap in Mageia
(SVN at http://trac.project-builder.org/browser/devel/rpmbootstrap tar
at ftp://ftp.project-builder.org/src/rpmbootstrap-0.12.1.tar.gz).

The base approach is to cpio first a list of packages (the minimal one
which allows urpmi to work) and then reinstall them running urpmi.
List of packages is at:
http://trac.project-builder.org/browser/devel/pb-modules/etc/pb.conf
line 389/390.

So I was hoping to get near that number after all. Of course a chroot
doesn't require a boot loader, so all the packages brought due to the
install of grub are creating the extra blurb.

So I already have one mean to make it as small as possible. Now I'm
working on another case, where I just use auto_inst. So I'd like to be
able to use all the params available that could make me as near as
possible of 170 + grub and its deps (the real ones).

Will answer to some other mail in //
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA         http://opensource.hp.com