[Mageia-dev] Duplicate reception of email messages

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Oct 27 20:44:49 CEST 2012

Juergen Harms a écrit :
> For some time now, Thunderbird receives messages twice (Mageia 3 Alpha2,
> thunderbird 16.0.1-1, using imap): my folder display contains twice an
> apparently identical message.
>
> The problem had first looked random - some messages single, some
> messages duplicated. Looking closer, it appears as if this problem only
> - and always - happens if messages arrive while thunderbird is already
> running. If messages arrive while I have no active thunderbird, and when
> I then launch thunderbird, these messages are correctly listed as a
> single message.
>
> It looks as if this problem is between my thunderbird agent and my
> service provider: if I use the web-access (convergence) to access the
> mail kept on the server, I see the same kind of duplication /
> non-duplication.
>
> Does somebody see an explanation? is this problem known?

Same thing here, with mozilla seamonkey, particularly when restarting
seamonkey.
I think that it is due to not confirming that the first copy was
properly received.  So a second copy is sent, to assure that you do have
a good copy of the message.
The alternative would be missing a message from time to time.
So I don't think that it is really a problem.

BTW, I sometimes have a similar problem sending SMS messages on my
mobile phone.  It says that it is still sending a message, evidently
because it didn't receive the confirmation.  (All the usual signs except
the beep at the end.)  So to ensure that it is sent, I save the message,
turn off/on my phone, and resend.  Sometimes (but maybe not always) my
correspondant receives 2 identical messages.

--
André