[Mageia-dev] ANN: Persistent journal logs now enabled.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 28 23:54:47 CET 2012

Hi,

Just a quick announcement that I've enabled persistent journal logs in
systemd.

This means the journal logs for your machine will be written in
/var/log/journal.

You will now be able to use journalctl to get log information about more
than just the current boot. You are also free to set up Forward Secure
Sealing on the journal logs in order to detect when logs have been
tampered with in the event of a breaking.

As the journal can capture all syslog logs, systemd now also provides
syslog-daemon. If we decide that the journal should be optional for mga3
we will simply move the virtual provides and the ownership of the
/var/log/journal folder to a subpackage, but for now, everyone will get
it and see how we get on!

You are now free to "rpm -e rsyslog" and do away with legacy logging.

For more info on how to use journalctl, please read here:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/journalctl.html

For developers who want to enable journal logging in their apps (beyond
the simple capabilities of syslog) see here:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/journal-submit.html