[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 02:11:59 CET 2012

2012/10/30 Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org>:
> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> There has been a wide consensus for the solution to put it into
>> tainted as has been said in this thread as well.
>
> The consensus was maybe not so clear then.

Maybe not so clear for those whose opinion differs from the consensus,
understandable. I did not write about a consensus as first one, it has
been written repeatedly by others.

>> Sorry if it is too offending for one or the other if I call this
>> procedure "ridiculous".
>
> Where do you see a procedure here? :-)
> Offer one if you think that's needed.

Ah, in case you have missed all those mails in the devel list:
1. The issue was brought to the attention of the people, including the
developers.
2. The issue has been discussed at length including mantra-like repetitions.
3. Several people suggested the same solution (we did not start a poll
but to me it looked like a large part of the participants of the
discussion). If I am wrong here then all others who saw it like me are
wrong as well
4. All it needed now was action according to that consensus.

This is what I call a procedure and how issues have been treated many
times. May be your definition is different.

After the discussion reached this state everybody waited for action,
which may have ver well have been delayed because of other more
important work. That was the subject/contents of the opening mail and
first answers of this thread. Until somebody started to open the
discussion again.

Another option would have been to bring the issue to the council after
the first discussion ended but I haven't yet read any mail about such
a move during the months since then.
Is that what you were waiting for?

> It could be up to the council or board to chose the lesser evil between:
> - picking tainted for non-free + tainted packages like faac, and thus
>   forbid mirroring tainted packages that are only free-software
>   (but maybe that's the hypothetical 'selective mirror admin' from Guillaume)

yes, you've been calling those existing mirror maintainers
"hypothetical" before. Very good argument. If I don't like something I
just pretend it isn't there.

Anyhow, I said my opinion in the first thread including the reasons
behind my opinion. The outcome of this is not so interesting (I could
use the blogdrake solution any time), I'm ok with any decision or
consensus. But it is the way this issue is handled which I criticise.

--
wobo