[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Tue Oct 30 10:38:43 CET 2012

Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> writes:

> 2012/10/30 Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> There has been a wide consensus for the solution to put it into
>>> tainted as has been said in this thread as well.
>>
>> The consensus was maybe not so clear then.
>
> Maybe not so clear for those whose opinion differs from the consensus,
> understandable. I did not write about a consensus as first one, it has
> been written repeatedly by others.

My opinion does not differ from the "consensus":
- I don't have a strong opinion on this
- I just did not see a clear consensus after carefully re-reading all
  the thread (from the beginning of the month) yesterday

>>> Sorry if it is too offending for one or the other if I call this
>>> procedure "ridiculous".
>>
>> Where do you see a procedure here? :-)
>> Offer one if you think that's needed.
>
> Ah, in case you have missed all those mails in the devel list:
> 1. The issue was brought to the attention of the people, including the
> developers.
> 2. The issue has been discussed at length including mantra-like repetitions.
> 3. Several people suggested the same solution (we did not start a poll
> but to me it looked like a large part of the participants of the
> discussion). If I am wrong here then all others who saw it like me are
> wrong as well
> 4. All it needed now was action according to that consensus.
>
> This is what I call a procedure and how issues have been treated many
> times. May be your definition is different.

What I call a procedure is a documented way of doing things before we
actually do them :-)

> After the discussion reached this state everybody waited for action,
> which may have ver well have been delayed because of other more
> important work. That was the subject/contents of the opening mail and
> first answers of this thread. Until somebody started to open the
> discussion again.
>
> Another option would have been to bring the issue to the council after
> the first discussion ended but I haven't yet read any mail about such
> a move during the months since then.
> Is that what you were waiting for?

If things don't move on, yes, we should bring this to the council.

>> It could be up to the council or board to chose the lesser evil between:
>> - picking tainted for non-free + tainted packages like faac, and thus
>>   forbid mirroring tainted packages that are only free-software
>>   (but maybe that's the hypothetical 'selective mirror admin' from Guillaume)
>
> yes, you've been calling those existing mirror maintainers
> "hypothetical" before. Very good argument. If I don't like something I
> just pretend it isn't there.

This looks like a misunderstanding, again.
The hypothetical selective mirror admin was about an admin selectively
picking sub-trees (free, non-free) of PLF.
Do you know of any admin doing this?

--
Olivier Blin - blino