[Mageia-dev] Packages not updating?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 13:11:47 CET 2012

On 30/10/2012 11:16, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi Anne, *,
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Anne Wilson
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier today I did a big update on Cauldron.  Since then my
>> wireless connection has not been working.  I started to gather
>> information to report this, but when I asked MCC for hardware
>> detection I was immediately told that broadcom-wl-kernel and two
>> other packages (one was broadcom-wl-kernel-netbook, I think) needed
>> installing.
> Yeah, that beast is stubborn unfortunately. That driver is unusable 
> with the additional channels, and I also struggled to convince 
> MCC/Network manager to use the free driver (that unfortunately 
> requires firmware to be loaded and thus manual installation of the 
> firmware-cutter package and manual extraction of the firmware before 
> it can be made usable).
>> Have I missed doing something, or should they have been picked up
>> in the usual way?
> Have you been using that driver before?
Yes, it has been working fine in the past, and I'm fairly sure that
(broadcom-wl-kernel) is what it was using.  It's worth noting that the
netbook kernel was only added to my config a few days ago, so that I
could test it (not done so yet), so it's possible that the problem is there.

I didn't have the error box on screen when I wrote the original, but I
can see it now.  It says -

System policy prevents modification of network settings for all users
An application is attempting to perform an action that requires
privileges.  Authentication is required to perform this action/

There is then a password entry box, but neither root password or user
password makes any difference.  As Maurice reported, it finds the SSID,
but fails to connect, no matter what I do.


More information about the Mageia-dev mailing list