[Mageia-dev] systemctl no longer supports reload on iptables

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 30 23:28:10 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Richard Couture at 30/10/12 21:33 did gyre and gimble:
> I am teaching a class on administration of GNU & Linux using Mageia 2 at
> one of the State of Jalisco's offices and while teaching iptables I
> noted that reload no longer is supported with this service.
>
> I have always used it in the past to avoid disconnecting people with
> restart if whatever changes I made to the tables were not relevant to
> their connection.
>
> Has something changed in iptables/netfilter where restart works like
> reload used to work, or have we lost some functionality?

Well, traditionally, the "reload" operation has not generally been
supported on singleshot services (which iptables.service is), however, a
patch was recently committed upstream which I suspect you will like:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=2abba39d759bacebd7461f7370bb108f48dcce92

This is now available in cauldron, but the iptables.service file needs
to be updated to include the correct line in the unit:

ExecReload=/usr/lib64/iptables.init reload

I'll make a note to update the iptables package (but someone is welcome
to beat me to it).