[Mageia-dev] [RFC] kdelibs4-devel and cmake macros

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 1 16:48:35 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Matteo at 01/09/12 14:12 did gyre and gimble:
> On 01/09/2012 14:36, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>> Hi, I recently had to work with some cmake macros and i found that
>> they were already on the system installing kdelibs4-devel. I am a
>> KDE user and developer so it's not a big problem for me, but some
>> colleagues are not. Now isn't be possible to have a
>> kdelibs4-cmake-macros package? I think that can be useful for those
>> who don't want to install a lot of kde developer packages and get
>> benefit by using already developed macros.
>
>> WDYT? Angelo
> +1
>
> Just for example, currently I need FindGLIB2.cmake to port an
> application from an old style makefile to cmake but the application is
> not based on kde and I can't make kdelibs4 a requirement.
> To avoid this requirement I've to implement FindGLIB2 functionalities
> into the main CMakeLists.txt but it is not that comfortable.

This doesn't sound like a good reason to me. Surely any porting work
you'll be doing you'll want to push upstream. Would upstream be happy
adding a dependency on KDE macros? I wouldn't expect so. Thus the
approach you've taken just now seems like a good one.