[Mageia-dev] Update of the rpm group policy

Pierre-Malo Deniélou pierre-malo.denielou at rhul.ac.uk
Sat Sep 8 20:07:59 CEST 2012

Le 08/09/12 13:39,Thierry Vignaud nous adresse ces quelques mots :
>> Hi Malo,
>>
>> I am in agreement with your proposal above, but I think the RPM groups
>> policy need a wider overhaul. For examples, I miss categories for scheduling
>> and productivity, as well as a category for personal finances, etc.
>>
>> As these changes also mean an update to our rpmlint package, I think it is
>> best if someone drafts up a list of the needed changes and presents that in
>> an upcoming dev team meeting for sanctioning.
>
> Yes it may be better.
> _Then_, we'll need to update
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/soft/rpmdrake/trunk/Rpmdrake/icon.pm?view=markup

True.

I can draft the change proposal. Please send me your suggestions for
improvement.

As a reference point, maybe people can have a look at the two extremes:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RPMGroups (29 groups)
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_group_guidelines (A lot more, 20
just for games)

So far I have suggestions for:

- Creating:
  * Development/OCaml
  * Development/Tools
  * Games/First Person Shooters (or simply Games/Shoot)

  * some category for scheduling, productivity (?) and personal finance:
maybe we can create subcategories of Office? (the following are inspired
from Suse)
  * Office/Dictionary
  * Office/Finance
  * Office/Management
  * Office/Organizers
  * Office/Other
  * Office/Spreadsheets
  * Office/Suite
  * Office/Word Processor

  * Security (for all security related tools: encryption, signature,
              forensics, etc): they are currently spread around file
- Removing:
  * Books/Faqs (not used by any package)

As Thierry mentions, these changes mostly affect rpmdrake, where icons
and possibly translations would need to be adapted.
I will coordinate these changes needed to rpmdrake once we agree on the
group list.

Any other suggestions for the groups?

Cheers,
--