[Mageia-dev] halt and shutdown users: Still needed?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 9 11:24:52 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Charles A Edwards at 09/09/12 01:42 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:49:57 +0100
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> This seems like a relic from many years ago and there is no need to
>> include such users in this day and age. Should we kill them off?
>
> They are carry-overs/carry-ons from sysvinit.
>
> Personally, since I both boot to and reboot/shut down from init3,
> when I actually wish to shutdown the system I use the shutdown command.
>
> And would not keeping both shutdown and halt be useful for system
> administer, and on any multi user systems where user Are Not
> wanted/allowed to shutdown/halt the system.

I think you're talking about the halt and shutdown *commands* here, not
the *users*?

The users just have the commands as their shell and you need to give
them a password and that lets people "login" as those users to then
halt/shutdown the machine. As you say the commands themeselves serve
that purpose these days so I think the user definitions can just go.