[Mageia-dev] /run vs /var/run in configuration files

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:47:14 CEST 2012

Le 11/09/2012 12:23, Sander Lepik a écrit :
> 11.09.2012 13:15, Guillaume Rousse kirjutas:
>> [...]
>>
>> The /run - /var/run merge (/usrmove) is supposed to make the change
>> transparent for applications. Manually converting applications to
>> explicitely refers to the new location doesn't change its usefulness.
>>
> Well, if your system can't mount /var for some reason then keeping
> things on /run might make recovery easier.
Then we probably should not refer to systemd directory as
/usr/lib/systemd, but as /lib/systemd for exactly the same reason.

Also, the usefulness of an available /run when /var is quite discutable,
whereas its main purpose is to store pid files for backgroud processes,
most of them using /var/lib for storing their data.

--
BOFH excuse #380:

Operators killed when huge stack of backup tapes fell over.