[Mageia-dev] /sbin/poweroff & kdm

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 14 11:06:05 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Nicolas Lécureuil at 13/09/12 12:39 did gyre and gimble:
> Le jeudi 13 septembre 2012 13:32:54 EatDirt a écrit :
>> seems to have been replaced by /bin/poweroff making kdm failing to
>> poweroff. I can open a bug report if needed.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Chris.
>
> thanks for the notice, i just fixed on the svn. Will be part of the next
> mageia-kde4-config package update.

Sweet. I had swithered (Scottish word, if you don't know it:
http://caledonianmercury.com/2010/03/14/useful-scots-word-swither/003379)
about whether or not to add compat symlinks in sbin, but if there are
only a few things affected, it's better to fix them at source.

Two points however:

1. As we are post-usrmove, /usr/bin/poweroff should be preferred to
/bin/poweroff

2. We should really attempt to port kdm to logind. This will give true
automatic multi-seat support and will allow proper management of
shutdown and such like procedures without relying on legacy/compat binaries.

If anyone is willing to help on this porting effort, I probably arrange
some multi-seat h/w through upstream contact (e.g. little USB devices
you plugin that gives you an extra keyboard+mouse+screen). I'll try and
speak with upstream about it too, but if someone wants to do some kdm
hacking from this end, that would be nice!

Cheers