[Mageia-dev] /run vs /var/run in configuration files

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 14 16:18:32 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 14/09/12 14:24 did gyre and gimble:
> Le 11/09/2012 13:44, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 11/09/12 11:47 did gyre and
>> gimble:

>>> Then we probably should not refer to systemd directory as
>>> /usr/lib/systemd, but as /lib/systemd for exactly the same reason.
>>
>> I don't really see the comparison here.
> The point was: if the canonical path for /usr/lib|/lib directory (which
> is actually the same) if the longuest one, why should the canonical path
> for the /var/run|/run directory be the shortest one ?

It's nothing to do with length, it's to do with which one is not a symlink!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but /run serves a purpose and kinda needs
to be on the root partition such that the initrd can mount and use it.

We cannot really put that path into /var/run and then make /run a
symlink to it because the initrd might not have /var mounted yet.

Am I misinterpreting the question here?

>> Personally I'm more in favour of using /run directly and adding lint
>> rules that cause a build failure if files are packaged in either
>> /var/run or /run.
> Shipping /var/run or /run files/directory is a different issues, and is
> rather related to tmpfs conversion.

Agreed, but I figured it was related enough to mention :)

> Anyway, I just found out than /usr/lib and /run are the actual
> directory, with /lib and /var/run the symlinks. Which makes an argument
> of favor of considering the first one as canonical.

Ahh that might explain things :) Yeah /run is the actual folder,
/var/run is just a compat symlink. The idea being to eventually remove
any reference to /bin or /var/run etc.