[Mageia-dev] Looking for a Packager mentor

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 21:07:04 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am looking for becoming a Mageia packager, hence for a mentor, per
Mageia rules.

My background: I am a developer, professionally and for leisure. And I
have been a Mandrake, then Mandriva, and lately Mageia user. Though I
have been for some time users of other distributions, like Ubuntu,
Debian, Gentoo and some less known derivatives. Anyway I have never
packaged a rpm up to today (I have only one experience of an .deb
package) but have always wanted to do so because I regularly have to
install manually softwares in my /usr/local (either because I can't
find them, or because Mageia packages are outdated, or finally because
the packaging is broken). So I finally decided to give it a go and
propose my candidature.

Note that I don't intend to be a "full time" packager. As I said, I
develop. And I have other activities. So I don't have enough time to
do everything unfortunately. I will prefer to focus on the few
packages I encounter problems with (or softwares I develop).

I already have a small TODO list (all the ones I needed and had to
install myself recently):

- Alchemy: http://al.chemy.org/
An interesting experimental drawing software.

- odns: http://odns.tuxfamily.org/
An OCaml library I maintain, for querying DNS servers, accompanied by
a CLI querying tool.

- cinelerra: http://cinelerra.org/
A video editor

- gstreamermm: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/bindings/cplusplus.html
C++ binding to gstreamer

- xcftools: http://henning.makholm.net/software
A CLI tool to manipulate XCF (Gimp) files.

- FAAC: http://www.audiocoding.com/faac.html
MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 AAC encoder

- subtitle editor: http://home.gna.org/subtitleeditor/
A tool to edit and create subtitles.

- cld (compact language detector):
http://code.google.com/p/chromium-compact-language-detector/
The language detector extracted from the Chromium code and packaged
into its own self-contained library. I am one of the main committer on
this library.
It also has a Python binding (which would make a separate package).

- tinysegmenter: http://lilyx.net/tinysegmenter-in-python/
A Japanese segmenter in Python. I completely repackaged it with an
actual setup.py but the author is not responding. So I guess I am
going to open a separate repository somewhere and will be the
maintainer on it (I am already the pypi maintainer:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tinysegmenter ).

And I guess that's it for now.
Hope that's a good start. :-)

Jehan