[Mageia-dev] halt and shutdown users: Still needed?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 16 22:40:04 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and rihoward1 at gmail.com at 16/09/12 17:13 did gyre and
gimble:
> - 1
> Removing them is a really bad idea.  It violates fundamental security principles.
> There is a reason processes are run with their user permissions.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Unless a sysadmin manually sets a
password for these users, then they are not used.

Just to reiterate these users shells are configured as the corresponding
commands. The users themselves serve only one purpose and that is to
shutdown the machine. As stated previously, there are different ways to
do that these days, and I'm not sure anyone has used these user accounts
for the state purpose for the last decade at least.