[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] installing in parallel

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 17 18:48:37 CEST 2012

On 17/09/2012 17:15, nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Marja van Waes wrote:
>> On 17/09/2012 15:12, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:

>>> I use a single command line for parrallel upgrades, that can
>>> be used for parallel package installation. === ssh root at comp1
>>> -t "/usr/sbin/urpmi --auto-update" && ssh root at comp2 -t
>>> "/usr/sbin/urpmi --auto-update" && ssh root at comp3 -t
>>> "/usr/sbin/urpmi --auto-update" === If you have disabled root
>>> login, add sudo just before the urpmi command. (btw, I use ssh
>>> keys for auth and enforce "without-password".) Just replace
>>> "--auto-update" with "name of package" for installation.
>>

>> Ah, nice Johnny, your command line can even be used across
>> different Mageia versions and arches :)
>>
>> Now it looks odd that I ever thought the MCC/drakrpm-edit-media
>> parallel option would only work on identical systems ;)
>
> I think urpmi-parallel is not the same. It's using ka-tools or
> taktuk to do parallel transfert of the package files on the
> servers.
>
> I don't know if it is still working.

Thanks, Nicolas.

I remember having seen a choice between ka-run and ssh, when I looked
at the tool.

ka-tools has been obsoleted after Mdv 2007, or am I wrong about that?

On 17/09/2012 16:43, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:

> If one have many systems, one can use a shellscript with one ssh
> command on each line.
>
> The advantage of using urpmi's "--parallel" option is that the
> "--parallel" option only downloads one file that are distributed
> to the nodes, whereas my command will download three copies, one on
> each machine. So unless one have a local mirror or use an urpmi
> proxy, my command example will download three copies of each
> updated package over the internet connection.

Thanks, Johnny :)

It would be nice, in case we're going to have an educational DVD
somewhere in the future, to know whether this MCC option would be an
appropriate tool for people in charge of some school computers to
maintain them.

So there is this tool, and there is urpmi --parallel and
drakrpm-edit-media --parallel=alias,host  (be in parallel mode, use
"alias" group, use "host" machine to show needed deps)