[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:53:37 CEST 2012

2012/9/19 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
> 2012/9/19 Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>>> Is that necessary? Instead you could have a checkbox "install
>>> optional proprietary software" in the installer.
>>
>> This allows for example magazines to distribute it
>
> Are paper magazines still relevant here? (true question)

Yes, they are an important distribution method. Additionally there
will be reviews/articles accompanying the cover DVDs. Don't forget,
this is cost free advertizing!

My view:

 - Free DVD (32/64) with a proper installer - distributing only live
media is a bad habit of some distributors, let's make a difference
there! As we have support of the idea of free software written in our
values we should stick to that. In addition to that we could include
non-free firmware in a part of the DVD, to be activated in the
installer (opt-in).

 - 4 life ISOs (Gnome & KDE, 32 & 64) for USB sticks (up to 1GB), they
work for all kinds of machines, even such without optical drives. The
additional space would be enough to include all langs.

 - boot.iso, this is done anyway, so it's no extra work

--
wobo

 -