[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 final set of isos

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:19:33 CEST 2012

2012/9/19 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:

> On 19/09/12 15:53, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>> Are paper magazines still relevant here? (true question)
>> Yes, they are an important distribution method. Additionally there
>> will be reviews/articles accompanying the cover DVDs. Don't
>> forget, this is cost free advertizing!
>
> Interestingly, one of the leading UK computer magazines has just
> stopped including cover media.  The reviews are still there, as is the
> "What's on this month's disk", but the disk is downloadable.

This is the reason why over here nobody thinks of abandoning the cover
media. Quite to the opposite as I learned from a conversation with a
chief editor earlier this year. Cover media are very popular because
they cater to the needs of people with slow net access. Cover media
are a measurable cause of increasing sales - as this chief editor
told, issues with popular software on a DVD sell more copies than
without.

Even other kinds of media (tv program, lifestyle magazines and others)
have taken to adding DVDs on their issues.

--
wobo