[Mageia-dev] halectomy and policykitectomy (Re: [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-27.mga3)

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Tue Sep 25 11:49:45 CEST 2012

blino <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org> writes:

> Summary     : Meta package obsoleting old packages
> Description :
> This package is used to obsolete packages that are no longer supported.
>
> blino <blino> 3-27.mga3:
> + Revision: 297306
> - obsolete hal and hal-info, replaced by udisks and later by udisks2

hal was pulled by:
- sugar: dropped the dep, since sugar is using gio/gvfs
- usb-imagewriter: added a patch from Ubuntu to use udisks instead (no
  udisks2 yet...)
- draksnapshot: fixed a crash when hal was not running (#3032) and
  opened a reminder bug about migration to udisks2 (#7565)

> - obsolete policykit, replaced by polkit

policykit has been replaced by polkit quite some time ago.
We still had a few users:
- python-slip (pulled by sectool, which is used by msec): only a
  requires had to be fixed
- hal: taken care of above

So, both hal and policykit are now obsoleted by task-obsolete.

I guess policykit could be made obsolete by the polkit package instead,
but hal has no real full replacement, so the obsolete tag can belong to
task-obsolete.

Should we explicitely obsolete the library packages as well or should we
let them be handled by the orphans feature of urpme?

Next step will be udisksectomy! (udisks1)

--
Olivier Blin - blino