[Mageia-dev] M3 won't complete boot after update

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 25 16:41:09 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 25/09/12 15:02 did gyre and gimble:
> Sent yesterday, but not seen on-list, so apologies if this is a duplicate.
>
> I finally got around to connecting my netbook, which has been running
> Cauldron for some time.  This was fully up to date before my holidays,
> and apart from the recent display problem (which as Angelo Naselli
> suspected, is a KDE problem) it has behaved beautifully.  Today,
> though, needed almost 3 weeks worth of updates, and when it finished,
> it won't boot.
>
> There are obviously problems with my remote mounts, but we are talking
> in detail about that on another thread.  Mostly things look to be
> going well up to that stage, then I see messages like
>
> Started RPC bind service
> Reached target Remote File Systems (Pre).
> Mounting /mnt/QNAS-Lydgate-Data...
> Mounting /mnt/borg2/home...
> Mounting /mnt/borg2_Data1...
> Reached target RPC Port Mapper.
> Failed to mount /mnt/QNAS-Lydgate-Data.
> See systemctl status /mnt-QNAS\x2dLydgate\x2dData.mount for details.
> .... (other similar pairs of lines)
> Dependency failed for Remote File Systems
>
> After these lines, suddenly two of the QNAS mounts (one of which is
> /mnt/QNAS/Lydgate-Data mentioned above) do succeed.  The two borg2
> mounts still fail, as do some of the other QNAS mounts.
>
> A few more lines, and all looks reasonable, until
>
> [FAILED] Failed to start Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
>
> then
> Reached target Multi-User
> Reached target Graphical Interface
>
> and there it freezes.
>
> Later:
>
> I tried booting from the older kernel.  On the graphical screen, it
> appears to get a lot further, 5 bubbles instead of 2, but when I tried
> it again watching the messages it appears to follow the same path as
> the new kernel boot, ending at the same place.
>
> Interestingly, though, the nfs mount that succeeds, after saying it
> had failed, was not the same one as yesterdays.  Still, that's
> probably a side-issue.
>
> The situation now is that I appear to have a completely unusable M3.
> The line
>
> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Remote File Systems
>
> is obviously important.  Not knowing what that dependency is, I don't
> know whether it could do more damage than failing to mount remote
> systems.  It doesn't sound likely, but....

If the remote mounts are not critical, just add nofail to the fstab options.

I suspect strongly that any issues with these mounts is entirely
separate to the actual graphical boot.

Personally, I was seeing crashes with qt4... perhaps try switching to
gdm as you're DM and see if the graphical boot comes up OK, that way we
could see easily if it's something high level.

Also you could try and look and see what systemctl status prefdm.service
says to you (you might need to switch to tty2).