[Mageia-dev] Fwd: Re: M3 won't complete boot after update

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Sep 27 10:46:47 CEST 2012

On 26/09/12 16:12, Marja van Waes wrote:
> Can you try doing "systemctl show prefdm.service | grep
> ActiveEnter.*Mono" after a fresh boot.
>
> I don't need to know the results, just whether it's non-zero or
> still at 0.
>
> Assuming it's still at zero, then we've not even tried to start the
> graphical server.
>
> I suspect this is because we're considering your remote mounts as
> critical to the user sessions (i.e. think of /home on NFS).
> Normally, putting nofail in the fstab is enough to break this
> linkage.
>
> Can you comment out all remote mounts entirely and see if you can
> boot.
>
> If it still fails, then try starting prefdm.service manually
> (systemctl start prefdm.service) and see what happens.

At this point I'm probably stuck.  I've been doing these tests by
forcing a level 1 boot, but now even that may not be possible.  These
are the latest boot messages:

broadcom-wl (....)Already exists on this kernel [OK]
Checking for new hardwareWelcome to rescue mode! Type "systemctl
default" or ^D to enter default mode ##Yes, that's how it looks, lines
joined.
Type "journalctl" to show system logs. Type "systemctl reboot" to
reboot. [OK]
##didn't do any of these as I was not watching the screen

Failed to issue method call: Transaction is destructive.

Last resort -

I edited out the "splash quiet" and called for level 1 again.  This
time it completes, very quickly.

'systemctl show prefdm.service | grep ActiveEnter.*Mono" ' simply
returns to the prompt.

All the borg2 mounts are commented out for now.

> If it still fails, then try starting prefdm.service manually
> (systemctl start prefdm.service) and see what happens.

Nothing at all happens.  It returns to the prompt.

We have all spent a lot of time on this.  There are files on the
netbook that I must recover, so now it's decision time.  It would
probably be easier and quicker to grab the latest image (in which case
can you remind me where to go for that) but I am willing to continue
if there is any possibility that what we discover could save grief for
others.

What do you think?

Anne
- --