[Mageia-dev] RPM groups policy

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 27 11:04:27 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Pierre-Malo Deniélou at 25/09/12 23:43 did gyre and
gimble:
> Dear packagers,
>
> Tonight, following the packagers meeting, we agreed on a new RPM group
> policy.
>
> The current policy is described at:
> http://wiki.mageia.org/en/RPM_groups_policy
>
> The new policy is presented at:
> http://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:RPMGroupRevamp
>
> This change in policy means that I will take the following actions by
> the end of the week:
>   * update the wikipage http://wiki.mageia.org/en/RPM_groups_policy
>   * patch rpmlint to refuse new packages that do not follow the new
>     policy (I will send another email to -dev just before submitting
>     the new rpmlint).
>   * create a bug report tracking the packages that need to change group.
>   * mail -dev about the packages that are currently in wrong groups
>     (even with respect to the current policy) so that their maintainers
>     can take proper action within 2 weeks. After that, I will change
>     the groups myself
>   * mail -dev about the packages that are correct with respect to
>     current policy but need to be updated to respect the new policy.
>     For these packages, the deadline will be beta1 (12/12) to complete
>     the changes, which means that I will start doing the moves by
>     myself by Alpha 3 (06/11).
>
> I will mail -dev at each step on the way, so don't worry too much now.
>
> I hope the new RPM groups will make it easier for everyone to find
> packages in rpmdrake and other tools. It will be a bit annoying for
> every packager, but it's a good opportunity to revisit many package
> specs before mga3 and make Mageia better.

Just ran into my first practical problem and would like your feedback.

PulseAudio packages used to just be in "Sound" group, but now I have to
sub-categorise them as Sound/*. This is fine and I put everything in the
Sound/Mixer category for now as this is one of the tasks PA does, mix
your audio, but I get the feeling this group was more designed to
represent graphical mixer UIs rather than infrastructure level stuff.

Should there be a group that represents this better? e.g.

Sound/Plumbing
System/Sound
Plumbing/Sound

Or perhaps PA should just go in System/Base?

(I use the term Plumbing as this is quite common these days as an off
shoot perhaps from the Linux Plumbers Conference where the various
infrastructural bits of linux are discussed).

Thoughts?