[Mageia-dev] The shiny new Control Center

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Sep 30 13:35:32 CEST 2012

Hi Steven,

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:14:03 +1000
Steven Tucker <tuxta2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been doing a little work on the proposed control center - mcc2
>
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:UiAbstraction4mcc
>
> and would like to put a couple of questions forward to find some
> direction.
>

> 1/ What should we call it ??
>
>          I have been using mcc2 as a working name, however I'm not
> convinced this is the right approach. I will soon be uploading the
> code (been using my own svn repo up till now), and it would be good
> to start with the name it will stick with. Should the name relate to
> Mageia?, or should it be more generic?
>
> 2/ What languages should be available for writing modules? (Perl,
> C++, python and Ruby are possibilities)
>
>          So far mcc2 has been written in Perl (even though I had
> never written a line of Perl prior to starting this) so as to make
> porting existing modules a matter of just replacing the Ui calls, but
> I do like the idea of allowing the modules to be written in more than
> 1 language to encourage more contributors who may be turned off by
> having to learn another language.
> Sticking with Perl will make mcc2 core easier, so I may do that
> initially regardless. What do you all think?? Is sticking with 1
> language preferred even if it means less contributors, or is the goal
> to attract as many module developers as possible?
>
> 3/ What should the license be?
>          I would be happy to make it GPL V3, but is there any
> argument for something different ?

The problem with the GPLv3 is that it is incompatible with code that
is GPLv2-only. So the code should preferably be GPLv2-and-above or even
LGPLv2-and-above or under the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License .
Otherwise, one is introducing many future potential incompatibilities (and
you can thank the FSF for that!).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish