[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 20:18:37 CET 2013

On 2013-02-04 14:27 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Nice in theory, but the root device is off by -1. Default menu.lst
>> cmdline includes root=LABEL=22cauldrn instead of UUID or device name,
>> which is apparently disregarded by grub 2.

> Maybe a limitation of legacy_kernel.
> Normally to use labels in grub2 the 'search' command is used without any
> reference to the device assignment.
> Like:-

> menuentry 'Mageia-2 multiboot' {
> search --no-floppy --label --set=root mageia-2
> multiboot /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
> }

>> menuentry 'Cauldron defkernel' {
>>    legacy_kernel   '(hd0,22)/boot/vmlinuz' '(hd0,21)/boot/vmlinuz'
>> 'root=LABEL=22cauldrn' 'splash=verbose' 'noresume' 'video=1152x864'
>> 'vga=794' '3' ''
>>    legacy_initrd '(hd0,22)/boot/initrd' '(hd0,21)/boot/initrd'
>> }

>> It works when I s/hd0,21/hd0,22/g.

> That syntax is apparently correct, as legacy_kernel needs to know what
> the original legacy command was.
> I have tested here in a clean mga3 installation and it works for me.

> Please re-test and if it fails again please attach the original menu.lst
> and the resulting grub.cfg along with any error messages.

It's entirely unclear what "re-test" here means, unless maybe by
incorporating your immediately preceding thread response. Current behavior of
Grub2 menu overall and first grub.cfg stanza is acceptable having used/using
the following:

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/menu.lst.04-cldrn-gx27b.txt

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/etc-default-grub-cldrn-gx27b.txt

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/grub.cfg.06-cldrn-gx27b.txt

Only error message I recall is about vga= from Grub2 before first kernel/init
messages appear.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/