[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 23:16:01 CET 2013

On 2013-02-04 12:23 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Yes could be a lot better, but it's mainly a choice based on licensing,
>>> probably will be improved in the future.

>> What's wrong with nice legible BIOS native fonts?

> Try commenting out the line in /etc/defaults/grub

> #GRUB_THEME=...

Done on my first edit to the file.

> and also temporarily rename /boot/grub2/fonts

Will try to remember if again presented with graphics mode fonts, which I'm
not currently getting due to either GRUB_GFXPOAYLOAD_text and/or
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console and/or grub2-menulst2cfg.

> Run "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg"
> after changing anything in /etc/deafult/grub before rebooting.

> Is that better for you?

Will have to reserve that for after figuring out how to get stanzas sorted
acceptably. For now grub2-menulst2cfg as corrected is working better. Even
better is using the master bootloader to load kernel and initrd directly, but
here I'm trying out Grub2 now that it has advanced to v1.0 status.

>>> Sounds like the same issue I used to have when I was using nvidia
>>> graphics with nouveau.
>>> Using intel I don't see this.

>> # lspci | grep VGA
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
>> Graphics Controller (rev 02)

> Hmm - dunno then - I do see a drop in size which appears to happen after
> grub2 has handed over to the kernel.

I know what's happening, figured out within several months of the kernel devs
unleashing KMS into the wild. KMS responds to video= for selecting mode to
use for tty framebuffers. But before KMS initializes, the kernel responds to
vga= if present as it has for over a decade, replacing the default 80x25 mode
with whatever mode the vga= parameter corresponds to.

Absent cmdline parameter for graphics mode init theme, quiet, or other means
to hide init messages, ttys are set to any supplied vga= framebuffer mode.
Shortly after the vga= response, KMS kicks in and switches to the video= mode
if present. If no valid video= mode is present, KMS initializes with the
EDID-provided PreferredMode, which here would be specified as 1600x1200,
corresponding to vga=0x31e (16 bit) or 0x31f (24 bit) if the gfxchip was
unsupported by KMS.

Initial Grub2 installation isn't preconfigured with with any video=, so
without being kicked into a graphics init mode by Plymouth or otherwise,
first tty drawing is in 80x25 mode, shortly followed by KMS initializing EDID
PreferredMode 1600x1200, which is what results in the tiny text, 75 rows in a
12" vertical space, or about .16"/4.064mm per row, a bit over 11pt, which for
me is about 72% of optimal height produced by 1152x864. I use a "bigger"
display (21" nominal CRT) to make stuff bigger, not fit more stuff.

>>> Probably configurable in /etc/defaults/grub but off hand I don't know
>>> the variable name - should be in the maunual somewhere.

> I'm suspecting this is not a grub2 issue but I may be wrong.

It's not directly. KMS is using whatever nominal size font is preconfigured
for the framebuffers. Whatever physical size font results depends for its
context on the EDID-provided video mode and the display's physical size.
Framebuffer fonts, except on *buntu, have been preconfigured the same across
all other distros I've used AFAICR since before I first began using Linux
last century. Grub2's part is that there isn't an installation option here
(that I remember) for the user to specify Grub2 pass a video= cmdline option
if he doesn't want the EDID PreferredMode used on the ttys. KMS has been
around so long I've already forgotten how Mandriva's installer was dealing
with the vga= option that was the usual pre-KMS method of sizing framebuffer
text. Pre-widescreen displays, vga=791 was pretty typical.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/