[Mageia-dev] Critical Samsung UEFI bug: "Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops"

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Feb 5 08:27:18 CET 2013

Johnny A. Solbu skrev 1.2.2013 06:57:
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Booting-Linux-using-UEFI-can-brick-Samsung-laptops-1793958.html
>
> "Booting Linux using UEFI just once on various Samsung laptops is enough to permanently stop them working. Several reports have been posted on the Ubuntu bug tracker, but the problem is likely to also be present in other Linux distributions, as it appears to be caused by a kernel driver for Samsung laptops. Kernel developers are currently discussing a change which would disable the driver when booting via UEFI."
>
> Mageia is most likely also affected by this.

Well, sort of... but it's not so "critical" as we dont support UEFI
Installs / boots OOB so far, so people have to to many things manually
to boot in UEFI mode.

Nevertheless it is fixed upstream in 3.8-rc6, so cauldron/mga3 will be
safe after I upload 3.8.0-0.rc6.1.mga3 (probably tonight)...

And for mga2 it will be fixed in upcoming upstream 3.4.30.

--
Thomas