[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Feb 6 09:52:47 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 09:43:41AM +0100, Anne Nicolas wrote:
> There was a discussion yesterday evening in packager meeting about
> what we should do with rsyslog. It's needed for upgrade from Mageia
> 2. But journalctl is now installed by default.
>
> Is there some requirement for systemd ? Shall we have both
> installed? We need an answer to deal with upgrade and isos

By default Mageia 3 should only have journalctl. Optionally you can
still install rsyslog. Any syslog package will store the same
information as journalctl does. Installing this by default provides
little benefit, so it was decided that we only do journalctl by default.
If installed, you double the storage used for logs.

Not sure how to handle an upgrade. rsyslog should still be in the
repository, but no idea if Mageia has something like a distro upgrade
actions (probably best to explicitly remove rsyslog when using the
installer to upgrade.. keep rsyslog when using urpmi).

--
Regards,
Olav