[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 00:44:49 CET 2013

On 05/02/13 00:52, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-02-04 20:27 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/menu.lst.04-cldrn-gx27b.txt
>
>>> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/etc-default-grub-cldrn-gx27b.txt
>
>>> Only error message I recall is about vga= from Grub2 before first
>>> kernel/init messages appear.
>
>> I was referring to re-testing the use of grub2-menulst2cfg again, since
>> it works perfectly here.
>
>> If you truly get errors from the grub.cfg produced by it then I would
>> like to report this upstream. I suspect there is something slightly
>> unusual in your menu.lst that it can't handle, so we will need both
>> menu.lst and the output .cfg, plus any error messages that may be useful.
>
> First I did urpmi --auto-update, which raised grub2 from -16 to -17. The
> new grub.cfg generated by grub2-menulst2cfg is identical to the last one
> it made: http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/grub.cfg.05-cldrn-gx27b.txt
>
> The two links above are unchanged.
>
> Selecting the first stanza, as before, causes:
>
> "...
> doing fast boot
> mkdir: cannot create directory '/run': File exists
> udevd[99]: could not find module by name='e1000'
> WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, ...
> ...resume device not found (ignoring)
> Waiting for device /dev/root to appear...Could not find /dev/root ...
> Want me to fall back to /dev/by-id-yada-part21."
>
> The root device is in fact /dev/by-id-yada-part22.
>
>> Since your comments earlier I have decided to split out the theme into a
>> separate package, so that a minimal installation using grub2 will not
>> pull in the font, image etc.
>
>> I have pushed a new version that Suggests: os-prober in the meantime.
>
> urpme os-prober didn't try to remove grub2 this time. :-)
>
>> So, in future an install of grub2 with --no-suggests will be without a
>> theme or os-prober, and perform as per the modifications I suggested
>> above.
>
>> Thanks for your constructive comments Felix,
>
> :-)

Hi Felix,
The new grub2 package is pushed, with the theme split out from the main
package which is a Suggest like os-prober.
Please remove the commented THEME line in your /etc/default/grub before
updating, as this is now handled by filetriggers and will possibly upset
things - I had not considered that possibility (commented line) and may
need to look again at how that is handled.
Please see the updated README.Mageia in the package.

I will now hopefully have time to report your grub2-menulst2cfg issue ;)

Barry