[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:59:46 CET 2013

Le 08/02/2013 11:15, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 08/02/13 10:06 did gyre and gimble:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> since the tty12 "feature" is present now, it would be nice if it could
>>> still
>>> be there and started as soon as possible, just like before.
>
>> I'd like tough than journald be reloaded if the host name change. That's
>> a bit painful to get logs for 'localhost' just because the name was set
>> after starting log system.
>
> Restarting journald is not a great idea if you can avoid it. At present
> it doesn't yet support a full reexec mode which preserves file
> descriptors which are connected to it thus some apps may lose their
> logging depending on how they are connected to it.
>
> Also I'm not sure what you mean... if I change my hostname, it's
> reflected properly in the journal.
>
> Does this not happen on your system? Perhaps some configuration probme
> with nss-myhostname (tho' not 100% that matters)?
Just the fact than /var/log/message contains lines as:
Feb 11 19:51:52 localhost acpid: client connected from 2074[0:0]
Feb 11 19:51:52 localhost acpid: 1 client rule loaded

etc...

Whereas my host name, set from HOSTNAME variable in
/etc/sysconfig/network, is beria.inria.fr. I have to restart my syslog
daemon to get it correct. So I guess just ensuring the hostname is
either set prior the start of the logging process, or refreshing this
last one thereafter, would avoid the issue.

I was probably wrong in seeing journald as a potential responsable here,
tough, as it also happens on a mageia 2 system.
--
BOFH excuse #451:

astropneumatic oscillations in the water-cooling