[Mageia-dev] System doen't boot with LVM

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Feb 18 13:48:34 CET 2013

So ok, I just update my freshly installed mga2 to cauldron using network
install (live upgrade don't work, it seems urpmi fail to find a way to
update the system w/o filesystem).

I have the exact same result: it don't boot.

* Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> > Dracut gi a shell, It seems 'lvm vgmknodes' has no effect (the swap lv
> > did existed already).
>
> In the dracut shell, what does /etc/cmdline.d/lvm.conf say? It should
> contain enough info to brink up both the root and the swap lvm.

rd.lvm.lv=sagittarius/swap

> Which version of dracut did you use to create the initrd used here? If
> it was dracut-025.1 then I think this is understandable as there was a
> bug related to something similar relating to encrypted filesystems (it
> didn't affect me here with pure LVM (no crypt), so it may not be the
> issue you have) If it's still a problem with dracut-025.3 then I'll need
> to look further.

Sophie say 025.3.

> As mentioned, problem fixed seemed to manifest itself more with the fact
> that the encryption module wasn't included, but if you have an encrypted
> root (or the LVM is on an encrypted volume) then I can see this causing
> problems (due to not detecting the encrypted volume, it won't then
> traverse it to find any slaves needed for it and thus never get to the
> LVM parent) and the 025.3 dracut should fix it (at least in theory, tho'
> I would not rule out any other problems in this regard!

Only my /home is encrypted.

> So some more info about when the initrd was generated and when the
> latest dracut version was installed would be useful to debug this
> further. Also a description of your disk layout would be good too allow
> me to create a similar setup for debugging.

Few minutes ago, at end of install or upgrade (as I said fresh install
of cauldron did the same).

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS