[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Sun Feb 24 21:59:10 CET 2013

> Not to mention there is serious doubts the the 3.8.0 release
> will be good enough to work properly for all endusers when the
> fallback is dropped, so it would need atleast a update to 3.8.x
> as a followup later to provide something that actually works,
> wich comes back to lack of maintainers...

I don't think Mageia providing GNOME 3.8 with the new classic mode made
using extensions, rather than the old fall back mode, would cause loads
of problems: http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-classic-not-classic-all/

Mageia doesn't have Unity for example which actually uses some things
from the fall back mode, and as a result I think Ubuntu 13.04 staying
with GNOME 3.6.2 rather than going 3.8 is a rather valid reason for them
to do so.

Originally Mageia 3 was going to come out on March 20th, which caused an
issue all along when it came to what GNOME version it would be released
with, since GNOME 3.8 is scheduled for release on March 27th.  However
then the release scheduled changed to April 2nd/3rd and then once again
to the 3rd of May.  3rd of May would actually provide enough time to get
a GNOME 3.8 point release or two in there as well, as long as Olav or
whoever is willing or able to package it does the work, and QA is
willing to test it properly for example.  Well I joined QA myself to
test pre release ISO's with GNOME and such at times :).  I know that in
general people from the QA team, are quite willing to test out GNOME
versions when it's time to test one, even if they don't personally use
GNOME as their DE of choice.

Also KDE will be released with the latest stable final KDE version at
the time of Mageia 3's release, so why not GNOME aswell?  Also I thought
that was the idea that both KDE and GNOME would get an exception for
version freeze, so that Mageia could be released with the latest stable
version at the time, of when the next Mageia version is going to be
released?

Really the GNOME 3.8 proposal should be discussed again, and both myself
and someone else from the QA team, think that the next council meeting
which is scheduled for tommorow would be a good idea. Obviosuly Olav
should be in such a disucssion if one is going to happen in the council
or packagers meeting for example.

Personally I think in general it's a bad thing to release a distro with
a  over six months old version of a major upstream project such as GNOME
or KDE,  unless there is a proper valid reason to do so, such as the
Ubuntu and Unity example.