[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Mon Feb 25 02:55:46 CET 2013

On 24/02/13 22:10, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Sebastian at 24/02/13 20:59 did gyre and gimble:
>> I don't think Mageia providing GNOME 3.8 with the new classic mode made
>> using extensions, rather than the old fall back mode, would cause loads
>> of problems: http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-classic-not-classic-all/
> The issue is not to do with the code itself, but generally to do with
> how well the rendering stuff works on older hardware without 3D
> acceleration capabilities. This requires the use of LLVM Pipe IIRC, but
> I've not investigated this.
>
> That said, I'm personally more than happy to discuss the options again,
> provided we enter it knowing all the potential problems.
Potential problems yeah, such as how it seems XFCE and LXDE also rely on
components from the fallback mode, well according to this:
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode Of
course Fedora 19 will be supporting GNOME 3.8, but also XFCE and LXDE,
or so I belive, so one to look at I guess for this kind of thing, as to
what they do.

Also after sending the original email I chatted to a good IRC friend of
mine about this, and it seems I may have been wrong. That actually the
new classic mode doesn't have the same purpouse as the fallback mode did
(to be used when the computers can't run GNOME Shell), and that instead
it's just really for those that want a more GNOME 2 like interface. The
new classic mode really even uses GNOME Shell going by articles, but yep
in a seperate session with the extensions instead. So if it isn't a
proper fallback replacement as in with the same purpouse, then sure it
may be better to use GNOME 3.6 in Mageia 3, because of this,  unless
there is a way to use all or most of GNOME 3.8 whilst also providing the
GNOME 3.6 fall back mode. Something I forgot to mention in my other email.

As for LLVMPIPE yes that's what's used to run GNOME Shell these days
when it can't run a graphics card driver for it, on well computers where
it can run LLVMPIPE, or virtual machines even on a computer where it can
be used like that.

> Col

Sebastian