[Mageia-dev] df lying?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 15:30:52 CET 2013

On 2013-01-07 20:18 (GMT+0100) Dan Fandrich composed:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 01:46:37PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> So the OP questions remain:

>> 1-how can the free block count be identical before and after adding
>> 37,925,705K bytes in 7 files to that journal-free, 0 reserved for
>> root filesystem?

> Are you absolutely positive that this is the right filesystem you're
> checking?

I really need to stop persisting to continue ad hoc maintenance projects past
when I should have gone to bed. :-(

The source files were coming from a Linux STB with woeful throughput to the
LAN. These 5200MB video files were averaging 20 minutes each to copy off. I
started that activity Sunday night by mounting the external destination HD to
a PC and checked it for available space. Then, being tired and not being sure
of my math in that condition, I proceeded to first copy from the STB to ample
internal HD freespace where I would be working on those files anyway,
intending to copy them after retrieval from the STB to the external HD at the
much much faster SATA clip. I never made the second copies, so the freespace
on the external HD's mount point was never touched. I never checked to see
where the original copies landed, and then when booting openSUSE and Fedora
to confirm, made the same omission, checking only the external HD mount point
freespace without once confirming the location of the copied files. :-p

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/