[Mageia-dev] ANN: glibc-2.17 landing on cauldron...

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 20:00:54 CET 2013

Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at ...> writes:
> Le 08/01/2013 02:54, David Walser a écrit :
> >> Different permissions:
> >> [cjw <at> hactar audit]$ ls -ld usr/lib64/audit /usr/lib64/audit
> >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 27 Jan  2 15:06 /usr/lib64/audit
> >> drwxr-x--- 2 cjw  cjw   6 Jan  8 02:34 usr/lib64/audit
> >
> > 750 appears to be the correct permissions, so I guess attr should be used
> to explicitly set it in glibc as well.
>
> Why 'correct' ? Unless there is an explicit and objective reason,
> directory permission should always be 755.

I looked into this some more, the way it "normally" works is glibc installs
the directory as 755, but if you install the audit package it changes it to
750.  I guess this capability is now broken or, ahem, not supported, in rpm.

The impact that the permissions of this directory has, is it affects whether
or not regular users are able to use the sotruss command.  Perhaps it would
be better to handle that via msec.