[Mageia-dev] PHP treadsafe

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 11 11:21:52 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Spuhler at 08/01/13 14:25 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 04:36:26 AM Oliver Burger wrote:

>>> You can run PHP with apache2-mpm-worker with mod_fcgid and php5-cgi or
>>> php5-fpm.
>>>
>>> This is what Debian Wheezy's README file for php says:
>>>
>>> Using PHP 5 with threaded webservers (e.g. apache2-mpm-worker)
>>>
>>>    After much back-and-forth with upstream (and even building our
>>>    packages thread-safe for a while), we're currently admitting defeat
>>>    on that front, and are NOT building any thread-safe versions of PHP
>>>    5 for any webservers. Our recommendation is that, if you need to use
>>>    a threaded webserver, you should use php5-fpm and interface to your
>>>    webserver with FastCGI.
>>>
>>> I think Mageia is hurting itself by enabling too experimental features.
>>> Another example is the uas kernel module, of which I saw a complaint
>>> recently in this mailing list. This module is known to be buggy, and
>>> disabled in Debian.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> That's what Oden told me yesterday on IRC.
>>
>> So as current php maintainer I vote against enabling this.
>>
>> Oliver
> I guess I then will revert it to NTS.
> Fedora builds it with both options. But it may be too late now going that way.

FWIW, over the last few days I've had to rebuild several PHP modules to
get my system working properly.

A couple days ago I had to rebuild both php-memcached and php-redis.

Today I've had to rebuild php-memcached, php-redis and php-timezonedb.

I'm not against enabling features etc. to try them out but when doing so
care really should be taken to rebuild all affected PHP modules not just
the core ones.

Thanks.