[Mageia-dev] Features

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Jan 16 21:06:10 CET 2013

Op woensdag 16 januari 2013 17:43:36 schreef Thomas Backlund:
> Colin Guthrie skrev 16.1.2013 17:34:
> > 'Twas brillig, and mustafaa1987 at yahoo.com at 16/01/13 15:18 did gyre and
> >
> > gimble:

> >> I asked yesterday and the answer was "too late", but if this is
> >> technically
> >> possible, I think it will make a huge difference for a big number of
> >> Mageia
> >> users, maybe 25% of all users use those AMD cards, so please would you
> >> reconsider shipping catalyst-legacy if it is technically feasible.
> >> For such a benefit for the community, I think it worth considering (from
> >> catalyst maintainer and others).
> >
> > Being realistic, shipping two x servers is simply not going to happen in
> > time.
>
> or ever...
>
> > It'll need lots of extra work including more h/w detection and automatic
> > installation of the legacy x server (assuming the user wants the
> > proprietary drivers only, the free drivers will of course want the
> > latest xserver instead).
> >
> > I feel it's just too much complication at this late stage to do this.
>
> There is way too much stuff integrated / interacting with x11-server,
> to sanely provide 2 of them without introducing regressions on
> either side...
>
> > Perhaps someone can do some clever edits on the binaries to make them
> > work with the newer xserver...
>
> Nope. No can do... that would violate the license.

it's sad, i too have one that's just not supported by AMD anymore, but that's
simply the way it is... AMD doesn't think 3y old hardware needs to be
supported, you need to buy new stuff instead... :-(

i found it annoying, but ah well, i'm just running it with open source driver
on my media center, and at least the video performence is adequate...