[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sun Jan 20 13:55:58 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 07:41:28 -0500, Frank Griffin wrote:

> According to this article, grub and grub2 each support chainloading the
> other.  So I really don't see why there's a problem

  Note that he says:

      "I then login to that, edit the menu.lst file as desribed above to
       add the new Grub2 installation, and then restore Legacy Grub
       as the primary  bootloader"

So I suspect that he (like me) does not know how to boot a GRUB Legacy
install from a GRUB2 boot menu.
   (Yes, I know GRUB2 boot menus do show options to boot existing
GRUB Legacy installs, but in my experience (with Ubuntu and Mint) they
*fail* to boot them.)

Despite my requests in various newsgroups, NO ONE has offered a
description of how to get a GRUB2 boot menu to successfully boot a
GRUB Legacy install.

Can you, please, Frank?

--
/\/\aurice