[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sun Jan 20 14:30:39 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:08:57 +0000, Barry Jackson wrote:

> Installing the grub2 package will not impact your current bootloader in
> any way.

  Installing GRUB2 where, Barry?
(MBR or  Root partition?)

If - as I did with Ubuntu 12.01 - GRUB2 goes into the MBR, then I can
no longer boot from its menu into a GRUB Legacy install, a I said
earlier (despite the GRUB2 boot menu purporting to do so).

> Once it's installed read /usr/share/doc/grub2/README.Mageia to find how to
> add an entry to your existing menu.lst to boot into the new grub2 menu
> from your existing legacy grub.

  As I said earlier, I already know how to do that.
What I still don't know (and still no one has described!)  is how to get
a GRUB2 boot menu to successfullly boot a GRUB Legacy install.

--
/\/\aurice