[Mageia-dev] Status note

Mustafa Muhammad mustafaa1987 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 09:55:29 CET 2013

On 01/26/2013 08:58 AM, Joseph Wang wrote:
> I've been avoiding checking anything into the tree so as not to
> interfere with the Mageia 3 release.  But I've been quite busy at
> working on various projects to be checked in as so as Cauldron opens
> up.  Most of them involve somewhat more than packaging since I've been
> sending patches upstream
>
> The things that I've been working on are:
>
> 1) Cinnamon environment.  I not only have a cinnamon environment
> working on my local box, but I've also created a set of packages that
> pull in all of the latest cinnamon themes, applets, and desklets.
>
> 2) Games: I'm tracking development for raceintospace, golly and
> leocad.  I've also got a local package of freeorion.
>
> 3) Astronomy/Visualization: I've created packages for the top
> astronomy programs on sourceforge.  These have either eye candy or are
> professional tools or both.  The things that I've packaged are
> virtualmoonatlas, aladin, ds9 and a ton of astronomy related python
> scripts.  I've also worked on a drop in replacement for pgplot based
> on plplot and a Pypi -> rpm script.  I also have a local package of
> elmerfem working.  I was going to work on paraview, and there are some
> install issues, and I'd like to work on ds9 first.
>
> I also have mesa working so if anyone wants to simulate a star, let me
> know.  The problem with mesa is that theorists work mainly with
> source, so I've been trying to figure out the best way of packaging
> mesa to allow for tweaking.
>
> 4) opengl for ATI: I was working a while ago trying to get the open
> source GPU/glamor drivers working on the newest AMD card, but that
> doesn't seem that useful since AMD doesn't seem interesting in this.
> There are some bits and pieces in my dev box that might be useful if
> someone else is working on this.
>
> I'm also interested in taking requests.  If there is some game or
> astronomy related package that you'd like to get packaged let me know.
>   One thing that I'm looking for is some open source wargame engine
> (xconq is too old, lgeneral needs non-freeware files, and opengeneral
> is closed source).  I'm also looking at openbve train simulator
> (getting old, and lots of mono changes needed) and rigsofrods
> (installation from source is complex).  On the astronomy front, I'd
> like to get in IRAF but that's really hard to install.  Also, I'm
> interested in knowing what sort of telescope control tools and tools
> amateurs are using.
>
> If I have a moment, I'll put up some screenshots with these packages
> working on my cinnamon desktop.
WOW, you are really working hard, thank you very much.
I know you said "game or astronomy related package", but I have
something else, we have no archiver with good GUI and full features (I
can't compress a folder with encryption in Ark), and there are great
open source apps that are waiting to be packaged:
FreeArc        http://freearc.org/
this offers the best all around archiver I know, offers encryption and
top efficiency:
http://www.maximumcompression.com/data/summary_mf2.php#data
also offers protection against damage of files (up to 20%) and other
interesting features.

PeaZip http://sourceforge.net/projects/peazip
is great but it have issues with 74-bit Linux.
7-zip File Manager is also great but I think it is Windows only.
Hopefully you (or anybody interested) can bring these to Linux.