[Mageia-dev] Status note

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sat Jan 26 18:17:15 CET 2013

> The cinnamon conflict with gnome has been fixed in the packages I
> have.  There is a patch that fixes the problem that I've sent
> upstream, and I can package it locally with the patch.

iinm you're still a novice packager, so ideally this should be
doublechecked by others(mentor) and since you might have conflicts, there
should at least be approval by the gnome packager... but well, we have
some time for that anyway, since cauldron only reopens in april.

> As far as the other packages
>
> peazip - I'm looking at getting that packaged.  It's pascal code, but
> it open source pascal code that doesn't look too bad.
>
> energytycoon - working on that
>
> openra - the problem with openra is that it seems to require closed
> source data files.  That doesn't keep us from putting it into tainted,
> but it does put it on much lower priority.  lgeneral also has that
> problem

tainted is for patented packages.
nonfree is for nonfree packages, or if they require nonfree files.

> I've looked over the package requests.  I just submitted a few Chinese
> fonts.  Mplayer2 looks interesting.

in the mean time while cauldron is version frozen. perhaps you can also
help to fix some of the bugs (especially if they are release critical)

also, keep in mind that new packagers are great, but even those need to be
maintained (of course, this only is for full packagers, but you can ask
your mentor to maintain them in your place and when you become full
packager to shift them to you).