[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Gstreamer 1.0 packaging: tainted version should require the tainted specific plugins

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Jan 28 22:57:14 CET 2013

To allow Totem to play back any file, in practice you want to install
GStreamer 1.0 from the tainted section.

Ideally to play back a lot of files, you'll want:
gstreamer1.0-dts
gstreamer1.0-faad
gstreamer1.0-x264
gstreamer1.0-amrwbdec

However, I cannot rely on those in totem.spec, because they are in the
tainted section.

I see two ways of solving this:
1. Building a non-tainted and a tainted totem
   The tainted one has Requires: for the tainted gstreamer 1.0 packages
   you'll very likely want.

   Benefit:
    - Avoids Gstreamer 1.0 plugin packages from depending on lots of
      other packages

   Drawback:
    - Has to be repeated for every video player that uses GStreamer
    - Tracking subpackages can be difficult
    - Totem tainted version has a lot more dependencies

2. Ensure that installing the tainted gstreamer1.0 plugin packages
   installs all related tainted plugin packages

   Example:
   gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad package in tainted should have:
      Requires: gstreamer1.0-dts
      Requires: gstreamer1.0-faad

   Due to subpackages possibly being moved in and out of the tainted
   section, the only thing I want to change is the Requires. I'm not
   planning to merge the subpackage.. even if it maybe is a little bit
   weird to have the main package always require the subpackage.

   Benefit:
    - Ensures that enabling tainted section makes video playing 'work'
      in any player that uses GStreamer
    - List of subpackages is maintained in just one place

   Drawback:
    - Increases the size + dependencies of the tainted gstreamer
      subpackage
    - Cannot just install just one tainted subpackage, have to install
      them all at once

I think #2 is the best option. If someone enables tainted, then likely
they just want video playing to work. Furthermore, this avoids changing
all the video players which could use GStreamer.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Olav