[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Gstreamer 1.0 packaging: tainted version should require the tainted specific plugins
olav at vitters.nl
Mon Jan 28 22:57:14 CET 2013
To allow Totem to play back any file, in practice you want to install
GStreamer 1.0 from the tainted section.
Ideally to play back a lot of files, you'll want:
However, I cannot rely on those in totem.spec, because they are in the
I see two ways of solving this:
1. Building a non-tainted and a tainted totem
The tainted one has Requires: for the tainted gstreamer 1.0 packages
you'll very likely want.
- Avoids Gstreamer 1.0 plugin packages from depending on lots of
- Has to be repeated for every video player that uses GStreamer
- Tracking subpackages can be difficult
- Totem tainted version has a lot more dependencies
2. Ensure that installing the tainted gstreamer1.0 plugin packages
installs all related tainted plugin packages
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad package in tainted should have:
Due to subpackages possibly being moved in and out of the tainted
section, the only thing I want to change is the Requires. I'm not
planning to merge the subpackage.. even if it maybe is a little bit
weird to have the main package always require the subpackage.
- Ensures that enabling tainted section makes video playing 'work'
in any player that uses GStreamer
- List of subpackages is maintained in just one place
- Increases the size + dependencies of the tainted gstreamer
- Cannot just install just one tainted subpackage, have to install
them all at once
I think #2 is the best option. If someone enables tainted, then likely
they just want video playing to work. Furthermore, this avoids changing
all the video players which could use GStreamer.
More information about the Mageia-dev