[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Gstreamer 1.0 packaging: tainted version should require the tainted specific plugins

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 29 00:27:26 CET 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Olav Vitters wrote:

> To allow Totem to play back any file, in practice you want to install
> GStreamer 1.0 from the tainted section.
>
> Ideally to play back a lot of files, you'll want:
> gstreamer1.0-dts
> gstreamer1.0-faad
> gstreamer1.0-x264
> gstreamer1.0-amrwbdec
>
> However, I cannot rely on those in totem.spec, because they are in the
> tainted section.
>
> I see two ways of solving this:
> 1. Building a non-tainted and a tainted totem
>   The tainted one has Requires: for the tainted gstreamer 1.0 packages
>   you'll very likely want.
>
>   Benefit:
>    - Avoids Gstreamer 1.0 plugin packages from depending on lots of
>      other packages
>
>   Drawback:
>    - Has to be repeated for every video player that uses GStreamer
>    - Tracking subpackages can be difficult
>    - Totem tainted version has a lot more dependencies
>
> 2. Ensure that installing the tainted gstreamer1.0 plugin packages
>   installs all related tainted plugin packages
>
>   Example:
>   gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad package in tainted should have:
>      Requires: gstreamer1.0-dts
>      Requires: gstreamer1.0-faad
>
>   Due to subpackages possibly being moved in and out of the tainted
>   section, the only thing I want to change is the Requires. I'm not
>   planning to merge the subpackage.. even if it maybe is a little bit
>   weird to have the main package always require the subpackage.
>
>   Benefit:
>    - Ensures that enabling tainted section makes video playing 'work'
>      in any player that uses GStreamer
>    - List of subpackages is maintained in just one place
>
>   Drawback:
>    - Increases the size + dependencies of the tainted gstreamer
>      subpackage
>    - Cannot just install just one tainted subpackage, have to install
>      them all at once
>
> I think #2 is the best option. If someone enables tainted, then likely
> they just want video playing to work. Furthermore, this avoids changing
> all the video players which could use GStreamer.

Have you noticed gstreamer0.10-decoders and gstreamer0.10-decoders-audio ?
Those can do the same as your point 2. but for all plugins independent of
the source packages. So basically task- packages for gstreamer plugins
that totem, other players and transcoders/editors can use.

That way you get meta packages for demuxers, muxers, audio-decoders,
audio-encoders, video-decoders, and video-encoders which depend on the
standard/typical plugins.

     Christiaan