[Mageia-dev] Cleaning up init

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 29 10:25:57 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and JA Magallón at 29/01/13 00:03 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi...
>
> After a test with symlinks -r, I discovered I had /etc/rc.d full of
> dangling symlinks, due to services moved to systemd.
>
> Should an update of initscripts clean them (symlinks -rd /etd/rc.d) ?
> I suppose this will also happen when people updates mga2 to mga3...
>
> I also discovered what seem like leftovers from previous conversions in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d:
>
> - dm (native prefdm exists)
> - irqbalance (package includes both, native and sysv)
> - linux_logo (same, native+sysv)
> - lm_sensors (idem)
> - mpd (idem)
> - mysqld (idem)
> - portreserve (idem)
>
> - netconsole (package is not even in the repos)
> - partmon (idem)
>
> Are we in time to correct these for Mageia 3 ?
> And to switch the remins to systemd, like resolvconf or postfix ?

The fact that both exist is a minor annoyance at the moment I think.
Would certainly be nice to remove them if the maintainers have the
time/inclination, but it shouldn't affect the system.

As for the dangling symlinks, yeah we should really fix that. I guess a
generic file trigger would maybe work? You have to be somewhat careful
as the symlinks can sometimes be "broken" when on a chroot (although 99%
of the time, they are all relative).