[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 22:26:12 CET 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:29:13 +0000, James Kerr wrote:

> I did answer your question:
>
> "MB  --   does the Mageia2 installation have GRUB-Legacy in the PBR?
>
>   JK  --   No. Mageia 2's Grub boot-loader was installed to the MBR of
>            the boot disk."

  James, I do appreciate your help in  this, but your reply above is
confusing (after the word "no"), because:

    "Mageia 2's Grub boot-loader was installed to the MBR of
      the boot disk."

seems to contradict your earlier statement:

   "I chose Grub2 and selected to put the boot-loader in the MBR of
    the boot disk, replacing the legacy grub  boot-loader of Mageia2."

Do you see what I mean?

> To be absolutely clear, I have never placed any boot-loader in any PBR
> on this system.

  *That* is the information  I was after!
It appears to confirm that GRUB2 does *not* need GRUB-legacy in a
root partition's PBR to be able to boot it.

  (The ones I tried *did* fail, but that may have been due to a bug in
GRUB2's os-prober function at the time.)

Regards,
--
/\/\aurice