[Mageia-dev] EFI/GPT

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Fri Mar 1 20:42:41 CET 2013

Oliver Burger skrev 1.3.2013 20:47:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a question here in the german forums from ixsoft - a company
> selling linux based operating systems and much open source and linux
> related stuff.
>
> Do we have support for EFI/GPT in Mga3? Bernd Hentig from ixsoft says
> something about GPT partitions and EFI (without the secure boot stuff).
> I have not looked into that topic at all until now and don't know
> anything about it.

Well, technically we already support both, but not OOB with the installer.

If you create gpt partitions with parted, the installer will happily
install mga on them, and it will boot and run correctly.

The efi part can also be managed, but you have some manual work
to get it to boot properly.

I'm working on making mga3 beta3 live images capable of booting in
efi mode, and then if it works ok, I'll extend it to normal install
isos, and then we'll have to see what adaptions need to be done
in the installer to properly install efi bootloader and we'll be done.

> Can anyone help me?
> Perhaps it would be good for someone with knowledge about that topic to
> contact Bernd himself.
> ixsoft is a major player in that field in Germany...

Well, I do intend to make sure mga3 will boot & install on uefi hw.

(as for secure boot, that I wont ever support)

--
Thomas