[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sun Mar 3 04:42:08 CET 2013

Sebastian a écrit :
> On 28/02/13 02:47, andre999 wrote:
>> Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>>>
>>> I wonder how we could attract more Gnome, erm, gnomes :) to help with
>>> packaging?
>>>
>>> Col

>> I'm very interested in helping with gnome packaging/development, since
>> I'm a long time user of gnome.  (I still have to finish qualifying as
>> a packager.)
> Ok awesome that you would like to help package GNOME into Mageia :)!

That's a major reason why I moved to Mageia -- as well as all the
important mdv contributors that I knew of moving over ...

>> BTW, I hope that mga3 sticks with 3.6, at least at first.
> There is no "at first" it is either released with 3.6.2 and stays using
> that :( or hopefully uses the GNOME 3.8 series instead for the release :)!

Wasn't there a suggestion of possibly providing gnome 3.8 as an update
if released with gnome 3.6 ?

>> Until the "legacy" (classic/fallback) mode is stablised, and hopefully
>> that those now using the fallback mode for hardware reasons aren't
>> subjected to the snail pace of the current llvm emulation alternative.
>>
> I finally saw all of the video of the GNOME talk last  night that I
> missed at FOSDEM, since ended up else where instead:
> http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/fosdem-video/2013/maintracks/Janson/Has_the_GNOME_community_gone_crazy_.webm
> If people watch from 29:50 the new classic mode gets mentioend again,
> followed by how GNOME should work well enough now for most users without
> 3D acceleration as well.  Before that section is also the part about how
> GNOME uses SystemD now to an extent, but it can work without that as well.
>
> As for llmpipe I have not had loads of slowness with it when running
> GNOME Shell.

On my previous computer running mga2 with gnome 3.6, a portable without
3D acceleration, a 80x24 text page in the console took about 30 seconds
to display in gnome shell using llvmpipe -- definitely a show-stopper
Under gnome-classic, typically maybe a second to display the same page.
However if this problem is resolved, and the option of legacy mode is
available as an option at login, I agree that it would be a good idea to
release mga3 with gnome 3.8
The same computer could fairly quickly build (smaller) packages, so it
had enough power for normal use.
(Until disk failure in November.  I haven't found a physically
compatible replacement disk.)
My replacement computer has 3D acceleration, so it doesn't need
llvmpipe.  (But I still use classic mode, which I reconfigure to have a
single bar on top.)

Recently I noticed that gnome-shell is called mobile or iphone or tablet
mode by a number of commentators.  It certainly doesn't seem appropriate
for desktop or laptop usage.

> Andre by the way in your other email to this thread your message didn't
> seem to show.

I had accidently double-clicked when opening the previous email :/

--
André