[Mageia-dev] EFI/GPT

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Sun Mar 3 17:26:01 CET 2013

On Friday 1. March 2013 22.13, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> sure, it can currently be disabled... but as soon as people start
> accept this there will soon be a "Secure Boot v2" mandating it
> be enabled all the time, and those that want complete freedom will
> be screwed as MS gets in a position to control what can boot on your
> system...

We don't even have to wait for v2. Their current policy for certifying hardware for windows 8 is that Arm based devices _cannot_ be allowed to disable  Secure Boot. So in the future they might expand that requirement to other hardware types.

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2012/jan/12/microsoft-confirms-UEFI-fears-locks-down-ARM/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248342/windows_8_secure_boot_the_controversy_continues.html

> We are promoting freedom and open source, not MS crap.
>
> So the time to speak up is _now_ and fight this vendor lock-in.

Hear hear!

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324