[Mageia-dev] Why is AHCI statically compiled into kernel?

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Mar 5 19:19:27 CET 2013

R James skrev 5.3.2013 19:53:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie
> <mailto:mageia at colin.guthr.ie>> wrote:
>
>     Anything that relies on ordering is just broken by design. We need to
>     handle things gracefully regardless of the order they are detected. This
>     is why UUIDs are the defacto method for filesystem identification these
>     days and why in mga4 we'll likely switch to a consistent naming scheme
>     for networking devices too.
>

> Yes, I understand that cryptic-looking UUIDs are the defacto identifiers
> but when mdadm reports that /dev/sdf1 has failed in a parity RAID setup,
> it will be good if a mere mortal can know which drive to replace. :o)

If you follow raid devel list you will soon learn that they dont
recommend trusting the /dev/sd* naming either as it is by
no means static... :)

depending on your hw, they may for example  hange place if you happend
to have a usb disk plugged at boot and so on.

so the thing to check is for example  what disk is mapped as
/dev/disk/by-id/*

where you can match on actual disc serial number and so on...
then you can be sure wich disk is failing / has failed...

--
Thomas