[Mageia-dev] issue with accentuated letters with gnome: gdb vs gnome vs locale-br

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Fri Mar 15 10:44:50 CET 2013

Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> On 7 March 2013 07:00, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For some time, I've issues with typing accentued letter within gnome
>> with br_FR locale (breton language).
>> I tried altered the LC_CTYPE content by replacing
>>     copy "en_DK"
>> by:
>>     copy"fr_FR"
>>
>> But that doesn't fix it (and anyway that's the value since a decade).
>>
>> I noted that gnome doesn't set $LC_CTYPE
>> When tested, both "LC_CTYPE=fr_FR gedit" and "LC_CTYPE=br_FR gedit"
>> allows me to type accentuated letters such as "é".
>>
>> Also running "startx startgnomeclassic -- :1" from a tty works fine.
>>
>> The difference is that in that case, the shell has read ~/.i18n and set
>> LC_CTYPE accordingly.
>>
>> It looks like the issue may be when gnome is run from gdm.
>>
>> Does that ring any bell to anyone?
>
> Anyone?
> I'll upload rpmdrake with global progress bar if someone finds out the
> issue with gnome!

sounds similar to the issues I have with gnome-classic often (but not
always) loosing the settings on my account (but not on root) when I log
out or reboot.
I have found that if right after I reconfigure the settings, I then exit
the application (like nautilus) and re-enter, the settings are retained
until reboot instead of being lost right away if I do something else in
the application (like access another directory in nautilus).

For settings like the themes, I found that logging out and back in right
after restoring them in gnome-tweak-tool usually keeps them after reboot
(they were always lost before I did this).
Sometimes they are still reset to the default.  I've noticed this before
reboot at least once, but my theme configuration was still being
respected in all my open windows.  But not after reboot.

Strangely, root, which I access via gnome-terminal (generally via the
"terminal adminstateur" option in menu), has never lost settings (to my
knowledge).

It is as though settings are not saved right away in applications like
nautilus, and not always being read properly on boot/login.
By any chance, could the boot part be related to systemd ?
(On my system, systemd often has time-out on cold boot, on mga2 fully up
to date.)

Hopefully all this gives you some clues ... :)

BTW, the global progress bar would be nice.

--
André