[Mageia-dev] Mageia3-B2 will no longer boot

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Wed Mar 20 23:03:12 CET 2013

On my netbook, the bread-and-butter install is Mageia-2, but I have also
been trying Mageia-3B2 to try to check out the Broadcom WiFi situation.

Until the last Cauldron update I made 2 weeks ago, all has gone well,
except the last time I used it was difficult to boot it, often needing 2-3
attempts.

Today I checked again and it repeatedly failed to boot.
  (Mageia-2 still boots reliably.)

When the Mageia-3B2 boot starts, it gets as far as 3 bubbles over the
cauldron, then the screen goes blank, there is still a lot of disk activity
for a few seconds, then nothing - even after 5 minutes.
  However , if I then tap the netbook's 'off' switch, momentarily I see a
cauldron with *5* bubbles flash onto the screen before the screen dies from
power-down.

I could access  the Mageia-3B2 install from Mageia-2 if anyone can suggest
what settings might be usefully checked and/or changed.

  In the meantime my Mageia-3B2 is dead in the water...

  Suggestions welcome!
--
/\/\aurice
	(Retired in Surrey, UK)     Registered Linux User #487649